Thursday, April 27, 2006

Community

If someone ever dies, the best place to do it is in a Mennonite Community. I woke up this morning to fresh cinnamon rolls. Tonight there are 3 different batches of cinnamon rolls on the counter, plenty of food to feed my big possie, and company in non-stop. While I was driving last night (for HOURS AND HOURS while Eric slept...he was supposed to keep me awake at 3 am) I thought about all kinds of things I could blog today. But now, after trips to the mortuary, flower shop, Grandpa's place to load his belongings, I am exhausted and empty. I'm trying to keep it together but sitting with my dad this afternoon writing the eulogy was tough. My own father breaking down with me while remembering and sometimes regretting. As an only child my siblings and I are all my parents have to lean on. I sang Amazing Grace at my grandmother's funeral. I was a lot like her and she taught me a lot of what I know about baking, sewing and more. But for some reason I knew I could make it through a song just for her. But tonight I am resigning to the fact that I will not be strong enough to pay a similar tribute to my grandfather. A chapter in my life is about to close. My heart is longing for one last goodbye. One last song on his harmonica: "Got ish de lieba".