Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Ursula

I met this spunky old lady yesterday named Ursula. She had this wonderful accent that I almost recognized. I asked her what her decent was and it was German. It opened up a whole conversation because my background is German. I told her aside from old hymns the only thing I knew in German was something my Grandpa and Uncle Melvin taught me when I was younger but never would tell me what it meant. I even mentioned it in my grandfather's funeral hoping someone would know. The phrase was something like "Y it bit stukerich". I can pronounce it still almost exactly like they taught me. Come to find out my Grandpa and his brother-in-law are pretty ornery fellows. The phrase means "You are stupid." Hmmm. I bet he's still laughing about that one from heaven. Goes to show you where I get my sense of humor from. Anyway, Ursula was a joy to converse with and I loved hearing her speak. She said she hadn't stepped foot in a church in years so she probably wouldn't recogize the hymns I knew in German. That made me pretty sad. Sad enough that I haven't stopped thinking about Ursula. Makes me want to go back to the yarn shop and visit her again sometime.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric and Pam said...

You're lucky Gail that I can barely knit a crooked scarf at or you'd have your Lily an orange and red striped sweater that's as good as Gap. :) YOU KNOW ME TOO WELL!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Marsha said...

I think I know her. She lives by mom and loves antiques. She is a cool lady.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Marsha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home