Friday, September 01, 2006

Challenging the System

Well, the first day at school and Lucy's report to daddy was, "I almost got sent to the principal's office." Jake was watching her like a hawk too and accounted for every time he saw her out of line. She apparently ran in the halls, got out of the lunch line, tried to run over to him and hug him, and talked too much (and this doesn't include the teacher's report yet!). Unlike some of my friends with boys, I'm getting words from every little person in this household detailing school. So far, Beth is the only one who doesn't like school and she was the one I WASN'T going to be worried about. Many funny stories from today but after school the principal stopped me with a typical Lucy story. She told me how Dr. Williams (I think he's the superintendent of schools?) came to visit today and see the new Kindergartners. Lucy jumped up and ran over to him and gave him a big hug and then went back to her seat. The principal asked Dr. Williams if he knew Lucy and he said he didn't so she asked if that happens a lot and he again said no. So, Lucy is defying her claim to be "shy". One day down...about 179 to go. Whew...at least the principal is nice! :)

I tearfully dropped the kids off this morning and practically drove home at the speed of lightening to enjoy my free day. I took Moby on a long walk and then showered and went to a party for mom's who sent their babies to Kindergarten today and friends. I had some good socializing with mommies experiencing the same day I was. And then all the seasoned mom's with last year's kindergartners started getting up to leave for "luncheon appointments". So, I guess the trendy thing to do is go to lunch. I'll work on that next week. :) Then I had lunch with my husband...alone. First alone time we've had in ages. I went grocery shopping...alone. For some reason it took me twice as long. I don't know if it was because I wasn't panicking to get out of the store before a necessary clean-up order came in for aisle 9 or because I was just enjoying reading labels and shopping leisurely. Whatever the case, it took me most of the afternoon. I barely made it home in time to unload the groceries and head back to the school...my "free" day already at an end. And then, my car wouldn't start. Eric had gone to sleep (still on nights today) and I had to wake him and he came out and got it started in his underwear. That scene alone was just humorous enough that I didn't give him any crap about my junky car. I was late picking up Lucy on her first day of school. But, she could've cared less.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cassie said...

sounds like everyone will transition nicely into this new stage of life.
as far as trendy lunches go, i'm always up for it!! :) but seeing as i am now unemployed, we may have to do peanut butter and jelly at my house!

9:16 AM  
Blogger jody said...

those trendy lunches are only for moms who have one or zero kids left at home. You and I are not invited yet.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Cassie said...

darn it! we'll have to come up with our own trendy idea!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Eric and Pam said...

Girls, that is what Benedryl and long naps are for...and take out. :)

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home