Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My Prayer

A mentor of mine gave me a bookmark with this prayer on it. I keep it in my bible and pray it often...

My Life is Yours
A prayer by Elisabeth Elliot

"Loving Lord and heavenly Father, I offer up today all that I am, all that I have, all that I do, and all that I suffer, to be Yours today and Yours forever. Give me grace, Lord, to do all that I know of Your holy will. Purify my heart, sanctify my thinking, correct my desires. Teach me, in all of today's work and trouble and joy, to respond with honest praise, simple trust, and instant obedience, that my life may be in truth a living sacrafice, by the power of Your Holy Spirit and in the name of Your Son Jesus Christ, my Master and my all. Amen."


I need these written prayers sometimes to refocus because here's what MY real prayer was today:

Dear God - Please help me not to be bitter that the bunk beds are still not finished and my two little ones are still sleeping on the couch. And please help me to keep my patience when the kids are beating on each other and fighting bitterly. And if you could, Lord, please do something about this car that keeps breaking down and the dryer that doesn't work and the husband that works too hard. Help me not to be ungrateful. PS: Thanks.

Ok, so I could use the prayer direction...not exactly the exemplary ACTS prayer...sounds more like a letter from camp than a prayer to God. :) But, my heart does desire to be "right" with God and follow His will. I'm just not as graceful and elegant as Elisabeth Elliot!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cassie said...

i think that is a simply perfect prayer. i tried to pray "good" today, but all that kept popping in my head was, "please God, please God, please God, let me get throught this day without going off the deep end. please. thank you. amen." i think the only thing that really made it a "prayer" was the AMEN part. i'm awful.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Eric and Pam said...

At least you said "please and thank you" Cassie. :) AND, you made it, right?

9:33 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

my only prayer today was "please God, don't let Creighton throw up in my car, AMEN!"

(ok--so not really my ONLY prayer, but almost...)

9:52 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

i wouldn't say i made it yet. it's only 10:22...

10:26 PM  
Blogger The Brookharts said...

Although the first prayer is a good reminder about how we should pray...the second prayer is the prayer of your heart...whether you "say" the first one or the second one...I'll bet God is hearing the second one. :) And I agree with Cassie that it is simply perfect. I bet God created people like you to make Him laugh. He's probably yawning when he hears my prayers :)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Eric and Pam said...

Karen- God may be yawning to empathize with your sleepless nights! :) just kiddin'

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home