Friday, November 17, 2006

Shenzhen




Ok, this may just be pictures of a hotel room but this was my scenery for about 2 1/2 days. I was very glad when we left Shenzhen.

The highlight of last week was the completion of Eric's MBA after two long years of sharing him with work and school. The only night we ate outside the hotel was Chinese Hot Pot night which ended up being very tasty. A cross between Fondue and Borcsht. Shenzhen was a little more of a dirty area. We walked around after we ate Hot Pot and I kept smelling a weird smell. I questioned Eric about it and he said, "It's China." And yes, after several days I realized that most places I went smelled the same. Kind of like the back alley at Peking. :) When we got back to the hotel after walking around I took my shoes off and noticed the socks I had put on just before leaving for dinner were trimmed in dirt and grime. I was wearing jeans so I can just imagine how dirty they'd have been had I worn capri's. My first encounters in this new land were immersed in germs and bacteria...all of which we all know I do well with. I also had my first view of a child using the restroom in the middle of a shopping square.

We stayed at a nice hotel in Shenzhen. I think it was the nicest hotel we stayed at the whole trip, although the one in Shanghai was a 5 star. The food in the hotel in Shenzhen was very good - a nice mix of Chinese and Western (American). Except for the weekend getaway, Eric managed to eat Sushi every morning for breakfast. He is very proud of this.

After staying up all night Friday night (10th) we took off for the airport and to be honest I was not sad to leave Shenzhen. I will really be fine if I never have to go back to that city of about 8 million people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home