Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Safely

27 hours later here we are safely ready to tuck ourselves in for some shut-eye. The day has been long but adventurous. No problems with any of the flights with the exception of my two cohorts who kept contrasting and comparing their previous business class experiences to their first overseas coach experience. Naive, I thought everything was nice. Going into yesterday morning I hadn't had a night I slept more than 3 or 4 hours all week. E and I were both running on about 1 1/2 hours of sleep when we sat down for take-off. I slept about 8 hours on the long flight from Minneapolis to Tokyo and was in and out on the last flight into Hong Kong. I'm sleepy now but feeling pretty good. E on the other hand is trying to get to sleep, not having slept more than 45 minutes or so on any of the flights. I would compare my sleeping experience to that of a post-operative one. I felt like I was going in and out as if coming off anesthesia. Like the nurse would wake me briefly to take something or to have me eat or drink. Similarly I would wake up and the stewardess would be handing me a diet pepsi, meal or snack. Speaking of diet coke/pepsi, I think I had my last one on the flight coming into Hong Kong. They now cost over $3 for a can. As we arrived in Japan earlier we witnessed a beautiful sunset. We had been in daylight for about 21 hours. It was the wierdest feeling looking out the window at 3 am home time and it was still daylight.

Here are some brief observations from the day:

  • Asian airports are cleaner, employee serious workers, are well organized, and all workers are clean and neatly put together. The women especially are all dressed exceptionally in their matching airline attire. In my small exposure I am realizing we Americans appear sloppy. :)
  • Stewardess' on international flights work their butts off. And they are still very pleasant 14 hours later.
  • It seems like two weeks since I saw my babies.
  • The airport seats are not designed for big girls and seat belts are not a standard length.
  • The "decent" hotels (as Eric calls it) here are nicer than most American hotels. I can't wait to see the nice one in Shenzhen tomorrow.
Sorry. No people pictures tonight. We're a little stale from the long day. I'm sleepy and E is finally snoring so hopefully more tomorrow. In a few short hours we shuttle into mainland China. Goodnight!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cassie said...

SO GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!! i have been thinkging about you and wondering where you are. you are missing a gorgeous day here in iowa and tomorrow is supposed to be better. bet you don't really care though! :) enjoy, enjoy. i'm so anxious to hear and see more about china. we miss you already!!

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mother called after she heard from you, it was good to hear you had landed safely. (there were prayers traveling with you). Keep bloging and enjoy your time there. We will load your bedroom suite some time Fri and leave early Sat morning. Love Mom B

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are going to have such a great time! I am so excited for you to get such an opportunity! I can't wait to see pictures! And be sure and do the whole SPA thing...you so deserve a nice trip to the spa...foot massage, mani, pedi, etc...maybe even a new $2.00 haircut!!! Love you!!!
Voni
I secretly wish I could call you as I need a boost today...major issues today...maybe I'll email cassie or jodi...:)

8:46 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

ok voni,
today i have a sore throat and feel pretty crummy, my daughter barfed all over her bed, my dog chewed up my daughter's favorite doll and it is SO nice out, but i have to be inside.
you may want to email jody...
oh wait, i think her son puked all over applebee's today. you may want to wait until tomorrow! :)

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate not hearing from you. I trust you're okay and having a great time!
Voni

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home